This is probably a classic for most and is the perfect end to a weekend or for a pick me up cold after lunch during the week!
I find this recipe fairly easy to follow and delicious, happy baking:
- Shortcrust Pastry -
- 225g Plain Flour
- 125g Butter
- Pinch of salt
- 3-4 tbs cold water
- 3 tbs cornflour
- 150 ml cold water
- 2 large unwaxed lemons (if your lemons are small you will need approx. 5)
- 75g Caster Sugar
- 25g butter
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 large egg whites
- 100g caster sugar
- Sift the flour into the bowl with the inch of salt, then add the butter and rub into the flour with your fingers
- Stir in 3-4 tbs of cold water with a knife until the mixture becomes to form a dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth, then wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preaheat the oven to gas mark 5 (190 degrees)
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface until its about 25cm in size
- Line a flat tin with the pastry and chill for 15 minutes
- Prick the base of the pastry with a fork and line with greaseproof paper and baking beans, bake for 15 minutes
- Remove the greaseproof paper and beans and return to the oven for 5 minutes
- Once the case is removed, reduce the oven to gas mark 2 (150 degrees)
- Mix the cornflower and water together in a saucepan
- Grate the zest from the lemons (only use 2 lemons for the zest)
- Squeeze the juice into a jug until you have approximately 1/4 pint of juice (this is where you may need more than 2 lemons if yours are small)
- Add the lemon juice and zest to a saucepan and slowly bring to the boil, keep stirring with a spoon.
- Simmer (still stirring) until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar and butter.
- Let the mixture cool slightly then beat in the egg yolk.
- Pour into the pastry case
- At this point you can let the filling cool and add the meringue later.
- Whisk the egg whites with an electric hand whisk (or food mixer if you have one!) until the hold stiff peaks
- Add sugar slowly until it is thick and glossy.
- Spoon over the lemon filling
- Place on the top shelf of the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until the meringue is crisp and golden.
Like I’ve said before I’m no pastry chef or baker, just a food lover and home cook. If I can bake this recipe then anyone can!
Happy baking 🙂