Hooray the Great British Bake Off is bake and with that comes the Great Blogger Bake Off hosted by the lovely Jenny at Mummy Mishaps.
So over the coming weeks expect to experience some baking disasters with me as it will happen I’m sure! I am going to try and keep up to date with the blogger bake off over the coming weeks and hoping to get to the final week.
This week on the show was cake week which means, we had the choice between the following:
- Madeira cake
- re-inventing the classic 1970s Black Forest gateaux
- frosted walnut cake
Now luckily for me in week 1 there is a cake in there that I bake on a regular basis and one of Daddy Vs Work’s favourites and even more luck for me was the fact I made this last week but hadn’t got round to blogging it so perfect timing!
On Great British Bake Off lots of chefs went for great new flavour combinations in their bakes however I like mine the original way with a little lemon flavour coming through.
This cake is perfect to have with a cup of tea and the latest episode of GBBO! Don’t forget to check out our other sweet recipes here on the blog.
- 225g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 225g butter
- 225g caster sugar
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- Grease a loaf tin and preheat the oven to 170 c or gas mark 3
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a seperate bowl
- Cream the butter adding the sugar a little at a time until light and fluffy
- Stir in the lemon rind and vanilla
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating for a minute after each one is added
- Add the flour mixture and stir until combined
- Pour into the tin and tap to ensure the mixture is evenly spread
- Bake at the centre of the over for about 1 hour 45 minutes or until a metal skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin on a wire rack for 15 minutes then turn out to cool completely
This post may contain affiliate links – this does not influence the contents or cost you anything extra however we may receive a little compensation should you make any purchase