So I’m finally catching up on the Great British Bake Off and this week I have got round to actually baking for the Great Bloggers Bake Off.
However me being me means I left it till the last day which was manic and barely had enough time to do anything let alone make puff pastry and vol-au-vents!
Somehow though I did manage to do some and created two savoury choices, the classic egg mayonnaise and cress and one of our favourite meal choices, honey & mustard chicken.
I have to say I did have a little squeal of delight when they rose and they tasted delicious!
- 250g strong flour
- 225g butter
- 150 ml cold water
- pinch of salt
- 3 eggs (boiled and cooled)
- Good squeeze mayonnaise
- Handful of cress
- Handful of cooked chicken (I used the left overs from our slow cooker roast chicken)
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- In the food processer blend the flour, adding the water slowing until combined (this may not need all the water)
- Once combined wrap in cling film and put in the fridge for 20 minutes
- With the butter roll it out between sheets of baking paper until soft to work with but still cold, this then needs to be rolled into a postcard size square.
- Roll out the pastry until its about 10mm thick and place the butter in the middle.
- Fold over the sides and top.
- Fold into half and then roll out to a rectangular shape.
- Fold twice, top folds down and the bottom folds up, seal down the edges with the rolling pin.
- Turn the pastry 90 degrees and roll out again.
- Repeat the fold action above then wrap and put in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- You then need to repeat the roll and fold actions (followed by time in the fridge) a further 2 times.
- Once done and chilled roll out on a lightly floured surface until it is approx. 5mm thick.
- Cut out 24 circles, then using a smaller cutter, take out the centres of 12 circles.
- Place 12 of the circles on the baking tray and brush with an egg mix
- Place the 12 cut circles on top and brush with egg mix
- Cook in the oven for about 10 minutes or until golden.
- Leave to cool then transfer to a wire rack.
- Slice and chop the egg
- Mix in the mayonnaise and cress
- Warm through the honey and mustard together in a pan.
- Add shredded chicken.
- Then simply add the filings to your vol-au-vents
This post may contain affiliate links – this does not influence the contents or cost you anything extra however we may receive a little compensation should you make any purchase