Everyone loves popcorn so being challenged by Butterkist to come up with a yummy recipe using their popcorn was a challenge I was more than willing to accept!
Butterkist sent me an amazing selection of their popcorn range to pick from so the challenge was on. After a bit of brainstorming and having a look at the amazing ideas that other bloggers have come up with, the idea of ice cream popped up and so it began.
I will be honest I had absolutely no idea how this was going to turn out and was completely winging the recipe from start to finish however I even surprised myself with how delicious it turned out. The recipe itself is really easy once you get going and the result is amazing. The ice cream has a really strong flavour of toffee popcorn and is lovely and sweet too.
A great way to finish a meal or just enjoy with your favourite film.
- 210g Caster Sugar
- 2 large eggs, plus 4 yolks
- 600ml Double cream
- 2tbs icing sugar
- Large bag of Butterkist toffee popcorn
- In a pan bring the double cream to a simmer with 3 large handful of popcorn. Once this is warmed through remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Place the eggs, egg yolks and caster sugar in a bowl. Whisk together and place over a pan of gently simmering water. Keep whisking for 5 minutes or until it is thick and pale (This is quicker if you have an electric whisk).
- Remove this mixture from the heat and continue to beat until it is cool.
- Strain your cream and popcorn mixture then whisk with 2 tablespoons of icing sugar until it thickens.
- Gently fold this mixture in with the egg mixture until it is well combined.
- Place in the freezer and leave to set for 6 hours