As part of our collaboration with Princes they challenged me to come up with a dish using their tinned mackerel.
The challenge was simple, no more than 10 ingredients and less than 15 minutes to make for busy parents on the go.
For me, it was always going to be a lunch dish which could be eaten on the go or even made in advance and taken to work. Working lunches have always been a bit of a struggle as I want something delicious however not something that takes too long in the morning to make.
With spring and summer on the way I have gone for a really tasty couscous salad with spicy tomato mackerel.
Depending on the time you do this you can either have the couscous warm still or like me you can prepare it in the morning and enjoy it at work when lunch time arrives. The great thing about this dish is just how simple it is. There is no fussing around in the morning when you are trying to get everyone out of the door, simple and quick however it tastes amazing!
I know lots of people are not keen on tinned fish however for me it is a big winner. It is convenient as you can store it in your cupboard, therefor minimising waste. It is high omega 3 and protein which is great for you too, as we all should be getting 2 portions of oily fish a week.
- 2 Cans of Princes mackerel in a spicy tomato sauce
- 100g couscous
- 1 Vegetable stock cube made with 200 ml hot water
- 10 cherry/plum tomatoes - halved
- Approx 1/3 cucumber - cut into slices then into quarters
- 50g red pepper - into chunks
- half a small red onion - finely diced
- In a bowl mix the couscous and stock, cover with cling film and leave to cook for 8 minutes, stiring with a fork half way through.
- Once this is cooked, flake through with a fork and then add the tomatoes, cucumber, pepper and onion.
- Share between 2 plates
- Flake over the mackerel
This dish has been a huge hit in this house with Daddy Vs Work making it for his lunch last week, with our cupboard now stocked with spicy tomato mackerel, I know he is getting his oily fish intake!
Don’t forget to check out Princes website as they have some great recipes for lunch and dinner for you to try out with the family. You can also try how convenient and tasty it is for free, claiming your free pack of mackerel here.
This post is in collaboration with Princes