Winter has rolled in and now we all turn to warming comfort food as the weather changes.
One thing I love about winter food is how delicious it can be but also the smells that come out of the kitchen as it slowly cooks and fills the house!
There is such a choice of warming deserts its hard to pick a favourite however you can never go wrong with a crumble and their is so many options when it comes to the filing, you really can make sure everyone is catered for 🙂
My personal favourite though has to be a an apple crumble, I don’t think you can beat it really. Made with a mixture of cooking apples and normal eating apples (such as Pink Lady apples) this gives it a gorgeous sweet taste that is not too sharp. This time however I also added some blackberries which added a lovely new flavour to it.
For a super simple dessert to make but one that is sure to warm you up on a winters day, why not give our apple and blackberry crumble a try.
- 120g plain flour
- 60g caster sugar
- 80g unsalted butter cut into pieces (room temperature)
- 200g cooking apples (pealed and cored into 2cm chunks
- 150g Pink Lady apples (pealed and cored into 2cm chunks)
- 30g unsalted butter
- 30g soft brown sugar
- 120g blackberries (i used frozen)
- 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to gas 5 or 190c
- In a bowl add all the crumble ingredients and rub together to make a breadcrumb texture
- Put this to one side whilst you prepare your apple
- Add the sugar and butter to a pan and gently heat till it goes golden
- Add the apple chunks and cook for a few minutes to start them softening
- Then add your blackberries and cinnamon for a few minutes to warm through
- Pour the fruit into a shallow dish
- Top with your crumble
- Pop in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden on top and fruit is bubbling
- Serve with custard
This is a sure winner in any household this Christmas and from our instagram it seems lots of you are fans of crumble!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link