In a bid to cut our outgoings we are working our way through the contents of our freezer and trying to use up some of the ingredients that may be sat there for a while.
There are certain things that we buy but they end up sitting around as I end up a bit bored of having the same meals with the ingredients, lets take sausages for example.
I mean how many times can you eat toad in the hole or sausage mash and beans?!
I know it is my own fault though, I need to become a little bit more creative with our meals and think outside the box.
There is so much you can do with food if you just take the time to think about it a little.
After looking for a recipe to use our sausages up, I couldn’t find one that had everything we had. As I wasn’t prepared to buy ingredients for it, I ended up doing what I always do when cooking – made it up as I went along!
I won’t lie, I was a little unsure in adding the baked beans however they tasted delicious in the recipe.
This recipe is one for the whole family and doesn’t need to cost a small fortune to feed the family!
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1 pepper sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 6 sausages
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin of baked beans
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbs dried thyme
- Fry the onion, carrot, peppers and garlic for a few minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the sausages & spice mix and fry for 5 minutes until the sausages start to brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, bring to the boil then leave to simmer for 35 minutes.
- Add the baked beans and season to taste.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes
- Serve with crusty bread or enjoy on its own!
If you have enjoyed this recipe, don’t forget to checkout our recipe section over here.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link