Working from home, whether it be part time or full time, is something lots of people now do.
For me personally, I started this blog without it ever crossing my mind on becoming a source of income, however, when times got tough, being able to work from home was the way for us to supplement the loss of one income. For 2 years I was able to work during the day at my main source of income and then massively boost our earnings in the evenings and at weekends from home.
There is a huge variety of ways to make money at home and lots of people are becoming creative in the way they are doing this.
This can include:
- Writing a blog
- Cashback sites
- Taking part in home studies
- Freelance work such as writing, design and virtual assistant
- Selling – Things such as Ebay and Etsy
One of the great things about working from home, however, is most ways to earn money require very little to get started. However, there are a few key points you may want to consider before you jump straight in.
- The likelihood is you will need a computer to do most homework. Now depending on what you are doing, depends on the specification you will need. For example, if you are just starting out on the blog or surveys for example and have no plans to record videos or stream chats etc you don’t really need anything fancy. Most people nowadays have a laptop or computer which will be more than sufficient to do these. Obviously, as your usage changes you may need to invest but don’t spend money on this sort of thing at the beginning if you don’t need to.
- Internet access – this is now going to be one that you do need to look at. There is nothing worse when you are working away online and your internet crashes out on you. For me, we go with fibre broadband which I use an ethernet cable direct to my computer. Over the years I have found that no matter what router we may have, it is always a bit dodgy if it is going to hold a connection when you put it through its paces (which you do when you are streaming). You should always look around for not only the best deals but the best company for you, so before you sign up to anything make sure you look round for the best fibre broadband. If your house is anything like our house, you will have multiple devices online at the same time, so it is key that the service provider you choose is able to manage your needs.
- Think about your time – It is great that there is so much variety when it comes to making money online however you must think practically of your time. You still need to have some downtime and spreading yourself thinly doesn’t help you or the business plans! Try to focus on a few ways of working online, to begin with, and then work on building those up as time goes along.
I am a huge fan of working from home and plan on building that this year more for me too. It has given me the chance to move to a role that is school-based, so I am able to be at home in the school holidays.
For me, it was a step down from my corporate roles, in turn, a pay cut, however the benefits far out way this. Plus, I know financially we are not any worse off thanks to my home working.
Do you earn money from home? I would love to know your favourite ways of making money online.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link