This post may contain Affiliate Links - this just means we may earn a few pence for every purchase made through our links
Pulled pork is becoming a firm favourite in this house, its just one of those yummy to eat meals that can be really simple to make and tastes delicious in a salad the next day.
I’m going to admit, until recently though I brough shop brought packs which you just cooked through and added the source.
However there is 2 issues with these I found, 1 they were pretty expensive but also they could be a bit fatty. So this weekend I decided to give it a try myself and decided to attempt a slow cooker pulled pork with home made BBQ sauce and it was delicious.
So good in fact we are having it again this weekend!
Slow cooker pulled pork with homemade BBQ sauce
- Shoulder of pork (We had a 1.2kg joint and that was enough with spare for 4)
- 1 onion
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 small cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sauce (I used HP but use the brand you prefer)
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 1 tsp Tabasco
- 3 tbsp apple juicce
- Quarter an onion and put this in the slow cooker for the pork to rest on.
- Mix together the spices and oil for the pork, put this to one side
- Trim the fat from the pork shoulder to leave a thin layer and place this in the slow cooker
- Cover the pork with the spiced oil
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours - the slower and longer the better
- Once cooked drain the liquid and remove the onions and pull the pork apart with 2 forks.
- Mix together all the ingredients and put to one side until the pork is cooked.
- Once the pork is cooked and has been pulled cover it with this sauce
- Leave to heat through in the slow cooker for 10 minutes
- Serve with fresh baked rolls and enjoy