Pulled pork is becoming a firm favourite in this house, its just one of those yummy to eat meals that can be really simple to make and tastes delicious in a salad the next day.
I’m going to admit, until recently though I brough shop brought packs which you just cooked through and added the source.
However there is 2 issues with these I found, 1 they were pretty expensive but also they could be a bit fatty. So this weekend I decided to give it a try myself and decided to attempt a slow cooker pulled pork with home made BBQ sauce and it was delicious.
So good in fact we are having it again this weekend!
- Shoulder of pork (We had a 1.2kg joint and that was enough with spare for 4)
- 1 onion
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 small cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sauce (I used HP but use the brand you prefer)
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 1 tsp Tabasco
- 3 tbsp apple juicce
- Quarter an onion and put this in the slow cooker for the pork to rest on.
- Mix together the spices and oil for the pork, put this to one side
- Trim the fat from the pork shoulder to leave a thin layer and place this in the slow cooker
- Cover the pork with the spiced oil
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours - the slower and longer the better
- Once cooked drain the liquid and remove the onions and pull the pork apart with 2 forks.
- Mix together all the ingredients and put to one side until the pork is cooked.
- Once the pork is cooked and has been pulled cover it with this sauce
- Leave to heat through in the slow cooker for 10 minutes
- Serve with fresh baked rolls and enjoy
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link